Sunday 25 November 2012

Favourite Shops - MaudStarrArt

I love the use of chicken as a motif in  MaudStarrArt's images... It's a winner for me....

Tell us a bit about yourself
I am a urban expatriate artist living on a small hobby farm in rural Ontario,Canada... I work out of a haunted historical studio in an old Courthouse(1860's) and am quite driven to create-.I finally realized after many years of making art that it's part of my fabric -and essential to my well being . I live with my partner(human Stephen) a variety of creatures who often play a part as my muse ;-)


Describe your craft


I am a mixed media artist with an editorial illustration background..This has influenced my style and intent as I approach my art with the eye of a storyteller ! My paintings are a hybrid of past and present..and my reverence for old photos/portraits in my work is a way to give new life to old imagery..my art has evolved from working in high realism as a painter..to using found elements in my work to tell a story ..very satisfying process for me..less technical and plodding too :-)


 
How did you get started with your craft?
I have painted,drawn and made stuff for years -from paper mache to puppets to textile art ..to assemblage and collage.


What is your earliest crafting memory?
Making an illustrated storybook in a tent under a huge willow tree in my backyard at ten years old.


What are your favorite materials to work with /favorite mediums?

Found objects,boxes, marvellous vintage bits and pieces,ephemera,old photos ,acrylic and gel matte medium..it is everchanging!

How did you come up with your store name?
I needed an alter ego with a timeless,long ago feel..

7. Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I care for my indoor and outdoor animals,pot belly pigs,goats ,chickens,dogs and cats ..read as much as possible,walk,spend time in nature and work in adult mental health part time developing and piloting socialrec/life skills programs..


Where does your inspiration come from?
The past..rural life..the incredible, human experience!


What does handmade mean to you?
made by hand (grin) not machine..or alternately not mass produced by others


What handmade possession do you most cherish?
all my art from other artists which has either been given to me or traded.. but especiallymy Frida Kahlo qullt which was completed by total strangers in a round robin

11. How do you get out of your creative ruts?
take time awa to quiet my mind....mix up my schedule..visit other places..commune with nature..look at lots of other artist's work for inspiration


Where would you like to be in ten years?
Hopefully happily creating full time and continuing to let my art evolve..



Where can you be found online? (besides on Etsy)  
my blog .."my Ephemeral Imagination"

facebook page..



What would people be most surprised to learn about you?
I am quietly but passionately an advocate for animals and the protection of their well being/lives. I am vegetarian,feminist in my political slant and although never hysterical -a believer in a more equal world for all. I also am a bit of a non conformist (shhh)


What did you like to do when you aren't crafting?
Read,walk,commune with nature,participate in lofty,stimulating conversation with others,sprend time with my daughter in her new urban life.

No comments:

Post a Comment