Wednesday 18 July 2012

Favourite Shops - Shupg

Hello Everyone, today I am featuring Shupg which is one of my favourite shops on Etsy, check out those cute chicken necklaces! I want one!!!
 
 
Tell us a bit about yourself.
I teach violin in the day, and enjoy playing in chamber groups, orchestras and also in church. I cannot resist a fluffy animal, usually dogs. Can't wait for the day I get to live in a farm, maybe I should join The Farmer Finds a Wife.


Describe your craft
I'm not sure I am skilled enough to be called a crafter, but I certainly enjoy letting my thoughts interact with one another and somehow things get made! Bus rides are the best, alone time but with enough stimulation around and outside.

How did you get started with your craft?
I left a 24-7 job in the media industry because it didn't allow me to be creative (falling asleep standing up and having my Dad say "Are you just going out or coming home?" at 430am doesn't help either). Not all jobs in the industry are like that, but I just drew a short straw on that one. No regrets, the time I had there only prepped me better for the life now. I then went back to my passion, music-making, and making handmade just made sense to me (after I accompanied a great friend on her treasure-picking trips in the many craft shops) because it allowed me to be as creative as I could be. Still learning loads!


What is your earliest crafting memory?
I think it was when I was a kid, I made myself and my brothers Christmas stockings from brown shopping bags.

What are your favourite materials to work with/favourite mediums?
Love wood, and then thread and fabric. Found bits are great too. I like to see a piece of something and think about all its possibilities. It's kinda like teaching, isn't it?

How did you come up with your store name?
It's a childhood nickname. :) It sounds like part of my mandarin name.


Apart from creating things, what do you do?
I teach the violin, do freelance writing and video post production. Actually I wouldn't mind doing anything at least once. Zookeeper might be on the books :)

Where does your inspiration come from?
Everywhere really! But I really do like nature and could stare at greens for ages. Not enough of it at all in urban Singapore.

What does handmade mean to you?
An expression of what a person is made of. Of character.


What handmade possession do you most cherish?
I love all the drawings and little things my students make for me. Children are so creative.

How do you get out of your creative ruts?
I usually give it a bit of time. Take some time out and just be alone for awhile. It energises me.


Where would you like to be in ten years?
Owning a shop cum music studio. Or on a mission trip. But let me pray about it.
Where can you be found online? (besides on Etsy)
I have sold some items to a distributor in Barcelona, so I suppose I can be found in parts of Spain. Also am in a fabulous shop, Dulcetfig, in Singapore's Haji Lane. Am looking forward to being in more places all over the world!


What would people be most surprised to learn about you?
Hmm, I'm not sure I'm such an exciting person. I suppose that... I love watching Masterchef but can't cook for nuts!

What did you like to do when you aren't crafting?
I'm sort of a routine-animal, I like doing some things the same all the time, a little OCD you could say :) Am currently pinteresting like nuts. Reading every chance I get. Spend time with my family (so precious, never underestimate it) and dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment